[mythtv-users] The best VDPAU video card

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 06:46:57 UTC 2009

> 2009/2/20 Phil Wild <philwild at gmail.com>:
>> I was looking for an 8400 series but perhaps I am going about this the
>> wrong way...
>

> What processor do you have?
>
> At this stage, of the card you've listed , only the 8400gs will do
> VC-1 decoding in hardware.
> But on the other hand, it will have the least capabilities when it
> comes to deinterlacing.
>
> In my opinion, if you have enough CPU grunt, VC-1 decoding isn't that
> important compare to a good quality deinterlacer.

I have an AMD64 AM2 5000+ cpu. I was expecting this to be plenty fast
enough to do everything in software but my motherboard seems to not be
playing fair (I think) as I have not been able to get decent playback
without prebuffering pause or audio buffer messages in the log file,
even with vdpau enabled.