[mythtv-users] No AAC Audio with Internal Player

Josh Mastronarde jmastron at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 21:25:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>>

>> Allen Edwards wrote:
>> > Make sure you have this setting correct:
>> > Max Audio Channels: Stereo
>> >
>> > It will not work if you set it to 5.1 even though that is what you want.
>> > It is a well documented bug.
>> >
>> > Allen
>>
>> Thanks. I am unfamiliar with this bug. So will that setting keep the AAC
>> codec
>> from being loaded? That's what the log file is saying.
>

> I just know it will not work if you don't set it to Stereo. I think it is in
> the setup instructions as well.  If you don't have it set that way this
> is undoubtedly your problem.  Let me know how it works out.
> Allen

I have a sneaking suspicion we're talking about different things here.
 Kirk is trying to play files with AAC encoded audio (coded used with
Ipod mp4 files, among other things), not AC3 audio (the common codec
for multi-channel, e.g. 5.1, HDTV broadcasts).  Allen's excellent wiki
page is about setting up digital outputs to pass multi-channel AC3
audio, not anything to do with AAC.  Do I have that right?

I too have tried to get AAC working, on a self-compiled 0.21-fixes.
Before using --enable-libfaad, I get the same "could not find decoder"
message.  After compiling with --enable-libfaad and
--enable-libfaadbin, I don't get that log message, but mythfrontend
crashes with a segfault instead.

I suspect an incompabitility between the version of faad2 that Myth is
expecting and the current version, but haven't had time to pursue
that.  Please follow up if you're able to make any more progress.

Josh