[mythtv-users] [OT]HDMI, SPDIF, DVI Nvidia, etc

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 19 20:32:48 UTC 2009

OK, disaster might be a bit strong.

I've been looking for good information on disabling the audio portion of
the video card output for almost a week.  My problem is with my new
video card, when I connect it to the tv it sees that it is hdmi auddio
capable and enables audio over the dvi->hdmi cable.  Doing so caused the
tv to ignore the stereo analog signal that it's being fed and try to
play the hdmi audio which is most times just crackling noises.  If I
connect my spdif output to a little connector on the video card I can
get audio for several applications (mythtv being one), but not all,
worst than that after the audio stops the crackling noises begin again,
especially after using xine.  I would really like to disable that hdmi
audio feature, but what I've found on the nvidia forums is not working.
	I'm running Linux kernel 2.6.24 with Nvidia drivers 180.29 drivers with
a 9500GT (G96). Nvidia is rightfully claiming that the TV is telling the
driver via it's edid (Extension Block Details really) that the tv has
audio capabilities via hdmi. With that information I downloaded my TVs
edid and edited it to remove all references to having audio and redid
the checksums etc. X thinks the edid is fine, so does monitor asset
manager, but for some reasons it seems that the driver still enables
audio. The only way I can disable audio for sure is to remove the entire
Extension Block, but doing so removes several of the extended supported
modes that I use. Seems that the driver is only looking for the presence
of an extension block and is not really reading into it to discern
whether or not the set supports audio. I can send both edids the
original and the patched versions if anyone would like to take a look.
	Anyone have similar issues/problems?  Any input would be greatly
appreciated, thanks.

Calvin