[mythtv-users] getting X working with 9400 IGP on Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Thu Feb 19 18:21:43 UTC 2009

[Sub-thread title improved; more information and questions added below.]

Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> writes:

> Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> writes:
>
>> I'm actually going to get the motherboard Jean-Yves has
>>
>>   Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 9400G IGP, 512MB at 1600Mhz.. 580MHz. Supports
>>   H264, MPEG2 and VC-1
>
> I've got this board now, but can't get X to run.  I'm using an old
> Debian etch installation, but I have upgraded X and the kernel to lenny,
> which is supposed to be released today.  I used the nvidia installer to
> install 180.29, and have confirmed that the kernel module of that
> version number is loading.  The error I get in Xorg.log is
>
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:2:0:0.
> (EE) NVIDIA(0):     Please see the COMMON PROBLEMS section in the README for
> (EE) NVIDIA(0):     additional information.
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
>
> In dmesg, I get:
>
> [ 2765.100578] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  180.29  Wed Feb  4 23:44:25 PST 2009
> [ 2774.450899] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x31:0xffffffff:1018)
> [ 2774.450906] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed
>
> I'm using an xorg.conf file generated by nvidia-xconfig.  I've put my
> xorg.conf and the full Xorg.log at

[link deleted, see link below instead]

> The X version is "X.Org X Server 1.4.2" and the kernel is
> linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 2.6.26-13.
>
> I've also tried compiling the Debian nvidia-kernel-source package,
> version 180.22, from experimental, with the same results.

[vesa works after doing a few more updates]

> As an experiment, I tried the Debian nv driver, but it is too old to
> support this card, and I tried the vesa driver and got mtrr errors.
> A rescue CD I tried was able to bring up a basic X session, and I
> haven't yet done so again to see what config it used.
>
> Any thoughts?  Should I try asking in the nvidia forum?

I've looked into this further and have posted full logs at

so far without any response.  I've now discovered that if I flash the
BIOS (to version F2), for the first boot after the flash the nvidia
driver finds the card, but for all other boots the card doesn't work.
So every time I reboot I need to reflash the BIOS!

I've also tried with both 2.6.26 and 2.6.28 Debian kernels.

I believe Jean-Yves is using 2.6.27 under Ubuntu.  If you are reading
this, Jean-Yves, did you have to do anything special to get the card
working?  Any BIOS settings or kernel boot options?  Which BIOS version
are you running?

I've tried dozens of variations, all with no change, so I'm puzzled how
it works for you.

Thanks,

Dan