[mythtv-users] MythTV and the Shaw digital box

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Thu Feb 19 16:03:52 UTC 2009

Bit of an update on this thread.  Having recently setup my new myth box with
one of the 4 tuner cards dedicated to a digital cable box (non-hd). I decided
to call Shaw and see about getting the serial port working since I wasn't
having much luck with the irblaster. I've since gotten it working reliably
with the PVR-150 IR Blaster, but still wanted another option in the interim.

I spoke with a supervisor at Shaw several weeks ago and he comitted to
finding out why after all this time Shaw was still not willing to enable
serial port access particularly since they allow channel changing and other
control though the firewire port on the HD boxes.

He called back today and said....

Feb 18/09
2030 - SHAW - Doug called back and said that after speaking with the guys at
the warehouse and pushing them for the reasons on this was that enabling the
serial port allows access to diagnostics and firmware changes and is how they
upload firmware at their warehouse. Giving serial port access would allow
"hacking" (didn't say this directly but implied it) and is a security risk
they don't want to deal with. I brought up the fact that the same issues
apply to the firewire port on the HD boxes and he said that what you can do
with the firewire port is much more restricted and is not the same kind of
issue.
2035 - completed

So being that I've seen several people on this list and elsewhere mention
getting access to diagnostics on the HD boxes and such, can anyone with more
HD box experience confirm whether the firewire port on an HD box allows the
same kind of contol as the serial port on a NON-HD digital cable box? Besides
diagnostics info, can you change/flash the firmware using the firewire port?
Also what else can you do with the firewire port that might be considered a
security risk (from Shaw's perspective).  I know you can control the channels
and get the video stream via the firewire port and access diagnostic info,
anything else???

Given how much time I've put into this over the years, I am not quite
inclined to drop it just yet....

<http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=137231&page=2&pp=30>

--
Harondel J. Sibble