[mythtv-users] pci sound card with spdif

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 06:03:53 UTC 2009

> When you plan on using SPDIF/digital only ; I don't see how a
> different sound card would help .. As when using digital the sound
> card does pretty much nothing ...
>
> I'd be trying to upgrade the alsa drivers on your machine and make
> sure you are using extra audio buffers in myth

This is my opinion as well but I am willing to try anything at this
stage. I know it is not doing any processing but was wondering if it
may provide some additional buffering or something.

I also have not been able to light the SPDIF port on the back of my
motherboard and am sending audio through the hdmi cable.

I have upgraded alsa to 1.0.19, initially using an upgrade script that
just plops the upgraded binaries over the top of the in place binaries
from the ubuntu 1.0.17 package. Yesterday I found a backported 1.0.19
all set to go for ubuntu here.... This is not installed on my system.

https://launchpad.net/~pgquiles/+archive/ppa

And the repos are here:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pgquiles/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/pgquiles/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main

One other thing I am going to experiment with tonight is seeing if I
can use my receiver to resynchronise the audio and video.

Cheers

Phil