[mythtv-users] OT: A question on the HD-PVR and non-HD content

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 21:41:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Mark Buechler <mark.buechler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 3:56 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Mark Buechler <mark.buechler at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi

>> > John, concerning bitrate, can MythTV's frontend support bitrate changes
>> > on
>> > the fly? Would it make sense to just start recording at the highest then
>> > once the resolution is known, change the bitrate to the appropriate?
>>
>> No.  Unfortunately, any change to the bitrate causes the HD-PVR to
>> stop streaming.
>>

> Hmm, I thought I had changed bitrates on the fly before though and the
> HD-PVR/driver handled it fine.. I'm probably mistaken.

If you tried it in Myth, and had the polltimeout patch applied, then
that is probably why it "worked".  The polltimeout patch recovers from
the HD-PVR hanging up.

If it was not in Myth, then please tell me the order of commands you
issued.  The HD-PVR is sensitive to the order in which it is told to
do things.  Maybe I have not found the right sequence to make that
work.  Or, maybe it is a timing issue.  It is possible that issuing
two commands too close together will cause the second command to be
ignored.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.