[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 8.10 and Realtime Priority

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Wed Feb 18 18:34:28 UTC 2009

I tried to watch a show on my master BE/FE machine last night. It has a
PVR-500 and a Pinnacle 800i for Clear-QAM. Recordings are stored on
their own 500GB SATA drive. While watching a recorded show the audio and
video started stuttering. I sshed in and saw two mythcommflag processes
running. The show I was watching was HD and the system was just
overloaded. I remember a thread a few days ago about realtime priority
threads. After searching the thread and following the info here:

I still do not have mythfrontend running with realtime priority. Steps I
took:

Edited /etc/security/limits.conf adding this:
*               -       rtprio     0
*               -       nice       0
@audio          -       rtprio     50
@audio          -       nice       0

I checked that the user starting mythfrontend is a member of the audio
group. After a restart to make sure the new security settings were used,
top still shows the mythfrontend process running with regular priority.
I also double checked that use realtime threads was checked in the FE
setup.

Any ideas on what to check next?

I would rather not SUID mythfrontend.

I have also upgrades to Jean-Yves packages with VDPAU, but the problem
was there before and I doubt the VDPAU patches change any of the
realtime stuff.

Thanks,
James