[mythtv-users] Wireless USB Hub ???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 18 16:18:05 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 08:58:47 Robert wrote:

> I believe the "wireless usb" hubs were introduced last year (as a
> standard??), with Belkin being the first to actually manufacture a device.
>  My understanding of these was that you plugged a (usb) receiver into your
> Windows PC and a driver made the devices plugged into the hub appear as
> usb devices on your PC.
>
> I've always assumed that this was all Windows only (until someone writes a
> Linux driver anyway).
>
> The idea of a USB hub that plugs into ethernet sounds interesting though
> (I'm thinking webcams on the end of a (wireless)network connection).  But,
> I'd be interested to know if they are sending tcp/ip data or just
> transmitting usb signals over CAT5/6 cable (like most of the "HD video
> over ethernet devices" do).  The former would be cool, the latter not as
> useful...

Sounds like something to keep an eye on, but not to spend money on right away.

I found the ethernet connection of the HDHR to be so useful (no slot required,
flexible locations and use of existing infrastructure) that the idea of other
capture devices being connected in that way is very attractive.

--
beww
beww at beww.org