[mythtv-users] Directories where ripped DVDs are stored

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 14:44:27 UTC 2009

On Feb 13, 2009, at 6:19 AM, gonzalo diethelm wrote:

> I understand that, in order to watch ripped DVDs (stored on a backend)
> from a separate frontend, I need to make sure the volumes holding
> those
> rips are accessible from the frontend with something like NFS or
> Samba.
> Questions:
>
> 1. Is Samba good enough to share the volumes, or is NFS pretty much
> the
> only way? I would like to be able to sometimes watch those movies
> from a
> Windows machine, so if Samba is good enough I would rather stick to
> that.

Why choose? NFS and Samba work well together. I have my recordings
drives shared via NFS, and my videos drives shared via both. The Slave
Backend and Frontends all mount up everything NFS, and then my
(friends) windows boxes as well as my mac systems all use samba to
copy videos to and from the master.

> 2. Is it the case that TV recordings also must be exported via NFS or
> Samba, or are they transferred from backend to frontend using some
> kind
> of streaming protocol? Just curious.

By default the frontend does not need access to the recording files,
it will stream them from the backend.

> 3. Has anybody tried sharing these files over a WiFi (802.11g)
> network?
> Is the bandwidth and latency enough to be able to watch a DVD from a
> remote frontend?

g may be suitable for standard def content, but really, you want a
wired connection. For HD content you MUST have a wired connection.

~Jon