[mythtv-users] Moving recordings...

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Wed Feb 18 13:52:30 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/09/2009 07:41 PM, stuart wrote:
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> ****Therefore, if you have filesystems that are not exported to all
>>> your Myth hosts, some directories may not be checked.  In these
>>> cases, moving a recording from one host to a not-accessible directory
>>> on another requires modifying the hostname associated with the
>>> recording.  If the directory is accessible to all hosts through a
>>> share, the hostname /probably/ should be changed to allow more
>>> efficient transfer.  There are patches in the works which will allow
>>> you to move recordings from within the Myth GUI in 0.22--including
>>> updating all relevant DB data--.  Until then...
>>>
>> Thanks for taking the time to replay.  I'm thinking the answer to my
>> specific situation is above.
>
> Based on your original post, I'm thinking the answer to your question is
> the "..." in, "There are patches in the works which will allow you to
> move recordings from within the Myth GUI in 0.22--including updating all
> relevant DB data--.  Until then..." portion of my post.  I chose not to
> enumerate the options.
>
>>   But I'm afraid I'll need to ask it regardless.
>>
>> I added a 1/2TB HDD to my slave back end (the master back end it too
>> old to handle another SATA HDD) and wanted to start using it to store
>> recordings.  Both the MBE and SBE store recordings in the directory
>> /space/recordings.  I'll probably create another directory on the SBE
>> called /more_space/recordings.  From what I understand, I need to tell
>> the MBE to add the directory /more_space/recordings to the mythtv
>> Storage Group. This, regardless that there is no such directory on the
>> MBE.  This action should allow the SBE to start using the new HDD to
>> store recordings.  And, it shouldn't bother the MBE that it will not
>> find this directory.
>>
>> Do I have that right?
>
> While MythTV doesn't care if an SG lists a directory that is not
> accessible (doesn't exist, has permissions that prevent access, ...),
> whether your system would actually find them is very much dependent on
> your complete system (including network, filesystem including
> shares/exports, and MythTV) configuration.
>
> You should read the "****" second note from my post.  What to do with
> that information, I'll leave up to you.  But I will say that you should
> /definitely/ start with:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
>
> Mike

A follow up...

Thanks Mike for explaining how mythtv works and will work in the next
release.

You are right, when I added the new HDD to my SBE I started out wanting
to move recordings off my MBE.  As I became aware of the difficulties I
reverted the issue to only adding the new HDD to the SBE.  My
understanding, from your previous post, was this was possible and was to
be done by telling the MBE about the new storage space.  So I ran
mythtv-setup on the MBE and added the new directory where I mounted the
new HDD on the SBE to the default recordings group.   I used the mythweb
status page to check my storage status but the new HDD did not show up.
  So, I ran mythtv-setup on the SBE and did the same as on the MBE.
Checking mythweb I saw the new HDD.  I started a recording and, probably
because all other HDD space was full, mythtv dropped it into the new
HDD.  It appears all is well.

So, did I not understand what you said -or- is it possible I did (am
doing) something wrong?

...thanks for you help.