[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - How do I determine chipset of an nVidia card before I buy

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Tue Feb 17 20:52:47 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> I understand that the 8400GS nvidia cards can have different cores,
> and that G98 is the one to get.
>
> So how do I tell before purchase what is inside the card?
>
> (on topicness = I am going to use it to test vdpau :)

Find someone that already has one and can verify which GPU it uses.
Some people have started putting that information in reviews on Newegg
and such as well. The Asus card that has been mentioned on this list a
few times has reviews stating it's a G98. I think the only reason to
care is if you want VC-1 support in VDPAU.

In short, there's not really a good way to be 100% sure short of
buying one. It would be nice if the GPU chip itself were part of the
official specs on all the cards, but it's not. The card manufacturer
could probably tell you, if you could get in touch with someone that
knew what you were talking about.