[mythtv-users] Deinterlacing settings for 6200 vs 8400GS and VDPU???

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 17:17:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 5:21 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:

> Yeechang Lee wrote:
>
>> Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> says:
>>
>>> Bob2x produced what looked like excellent results on the moving bar
>>> but seemed to do nothing helpful when the picture is paused.
>>>

>> That's my experience, too; Bob with the xv-blit renderer does an
>> excellent job with movement/pans. It is a 2X deinterlacer; it takes
>> advantage of your projector's progressive output and doubles the
>> refresh rate on interlaced content, producing noticeably-smoother
>> movemet than with the 1X one field, kernel, or linear blend
>> deinterlacers.
>>

> Don't get me wrong, not in any way criticising your advice, which
> is all good, but something worth saying I think: although Bob is
> excellent for avoiding motion artifacts (well in fact it should
> not produce any), using it means you'll get no real advantage
> from having a 1080 screen over a 720. And supposedly content providers
> choose to transmit in 1080i when there's a lot of detail in
> the images, and not so much motion.
>
> Paul.

Great replies all 3 of you, thanks!

I think the net of this is that I have my own custom profile (as is
recommended) that I understand better and does not put error messages in my
mythfrontend.log file like CPU++ did and my CPU usage went down.  Sounds
like I might get a slight boost from the new hardware but not something to
go way out of my way for given what we watch.

In terms of the question on what the stations broadcast, each station around
here has a fixed format, 1080i or 720p independent of what they are
broadcasting.  That said, the 1080i PBS station isn't broadcasting a lot of
sporting events so there may be some general truth to what you say but CBS
is also 1080i.  I wish they would all broadcast 720p as that is what my
system is but they each made their own choices.

When the spec was being debated you had Zenith and GI proposing systems.
 One was 1080i and the other 720p.  One was QAM the other ATSC.  One was MPG
the other a home brew.  They picked parts of each proposal, the Zenith's
modulation and GI's decoding and opened the spec up to all formats so the
stations could pick not only HDTV formats but 480i non HD as well.  I think
the decisions were good.

Allen