[mythtv-users] Transcoding ripped DVDs

Mike Holden mythtv at mikeholden.org
Tue Feb 17 14:41:42 UTC 2009

jedi wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 09:50:07AM -0300, gonzalo diethelm wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> > Have you read this: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythDVD#DVD_Ripping ?
>>
>> I had (and re-read it now). That document talks about putting a physical
>> DVD into the drive and ripping / playing /transcoding it. What I want to
>> do is to transcode DVDs which I have previously ripped (on a Windows
>> machine with DVDfab). I am not sure if I can do this transcoding while
>> watching those ripped DVDs, and how I could trigger the process from a
>
>     Watching video and transcoding it are generally separate tools.
>
>     I find mencoder to be pretty handy for converting DVD content
> but there are other options.

There are probably a few routes for this.

One would be to mount the iso using a loopback device (google for it, I
think that's the right phrase, you basically mount the iso as if it were a
disk, so the contents appear in the mount point). You should then be able
to rip the contents from there.

The other option I have been toying with over the last few days, but have
yet to try it is to use dd to physically copy the iso file to a disk
partition (either a physical one or an lvm device) of a suitable size. The
dvd iso would then be visible at the /dev/whatever address as if it were a
real dvd. If you tell the MythRip program that your dvd device is
/dev/whatever, if you are lucky, it may be able to rip from there. Like I
said, this is untried theory at this stage, so maybe someone else could
comment on whether this would work or not?!
--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted
items, including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts