[mythtv-users] Problem playing mpg file from the Videos directory

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 17 05:14:17 UTC 2009

On 02/16/2009 11:46 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
>

>> I moved a couple of mpg files from the Recordings directory to the Videos
>> directory, scanned them with the Video Manager, and they play fine from
>> Watch Videos.  Except I cannot skip forward or back at all.  If I try, the
>> frontend locks up.  I get an OSD with the position when I try skip forward,
>> but the picture doesn't change.  After a few seconds the OSD fades away.
>>  Hitting Exit has no effect.
>> Any ideas what's going on?
>>

> Hmm, I found a thread in the archive which mentioned using mythcommflag
> --video, so I tried that.  Now I can skip through the video, but the
> progress meter is very confused.   It thinks an hour show is 59 seconds
> long.  Skipping ahead seems to skip by 30 minutes instead of 30 seconds, and
> skipping back seems to skip by seven minutes instead of seven seconds.  But
> on the bright side it's not locking up.

Yes, you need a seektable for MPEG-2 videos in MythVideo.  In -fixes,
mythcommflag --rebuild (even with --video) is broken for most (all?)
MPEG-2, so you should use mythtranscode --buildindex (with appropriate
other flags, including the one that says to operate on a MythVideo
video).  See the wiki page:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Repairing_the_Seektable (because I'm not
providing all the info you need here).

Mike