[mythtv-users] VDPAU results

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Feb 17 00:09:30 UTC 2009

Calvin Harrigan <charriglists at bellsouth.net> says:
> I'm testing VDPAU WITH a G96(9500gt) gpu right now [with the
> 0.21-fixes backport], and it's working fine.

[...]

> I still think the cpu usage is a bit high compared to what others
> have reported.  I have tested the setup with the cpu at full speed,
> then the usage is in the upper 20s %.  I think it's something I
> missing though, because if I use the internal player in mythvideo to
> play back high bitrate files like the infamous 13.5 mpg it only uses
> about 5-8% of the 1ghz.  I was not able to play this file before at
> all, it would pause every 2-3 seconds for about a second using 100%
> cpu.  Any ideas on why mythfrontend seems to be using that much cpu
> to playback HD files recorded from a HDHR?

<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/371585#371585>,
I'd guess. HDHomeRun recordings are MPEG-2. 13.5mpg and other HD-PVR
sample clips are 720p h.264. With my G98-based card CPU usage is about
5-10% for both.

There may also be some extra CPU usage to deinterlace 1080i MPEG-2
recordings, which 720p won't need; although with VDPAU the video card
handles deinterlacing there must be some CPU overhead still. (Just as
a VDPAU system that can use Advanced 2x deinterlacing with SD
recordings might not be able to do so with HD.) How much CPU do 720p
HDHomeRun recordings use?

> The de-interlacing is awesome by the way, advanced hw 2x looks
> great.

As you noted, a high-20% CPU usage of a processor running at 1GHz when
playing state-of-the-art 1080i and 720p broadcasts is still pretty
darn amazing. Be grateful that you can also use Advanced HW 2X; my G98
can't, sadly. See
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/369479#369479>.
(The backport on my G98 can now handle Temporal 2X, though, as I'll
report in more detail elsewhere.)

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array