[mythtv-users] Need help with f'ing gray bars on 16:9 content

MrVining myth-user-discussion at mrvining.com
Mon Feb 16 19:08:06 UTC 2009

On Feb 16, 2009, at 10:11 AM, MrVining wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2009, at 10:02 PM, MrVining wrote:
>

>> On Feb 15, 2009, at 9:18 PM, Paulin wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 9:56 PM, MrVining <myth-user-
>>> discussion at mrvining.com> wrote:

>>> I'm using the HDMI from my:
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128072
>>> I'm viewing HD content I can tell the diff, there is actually
>>> video behind the bars that myth is covering up.
>>>
>>> Then you may want to look at the playback profiles....  Make sure
>>> the profile your using isn't doing it.
>>>
>>> OT: What do you think of that  Micro ATX....I'm going to be
>>> looking for a cheap frontend soon that supports VDPAU...  The
>>> price looks pretty good and I already have a case.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>> I love the MB, and actually for about $10 more they make one that
>> will accept a quad core, and has another pci slot.  Only issue I
>> have had with it so far is the fact that I can't figure out audio
>> out of the hdmi port with linux.  then again ive only used linux
>> for about 2 weeks and it hasn't been at the top of my list of
>> things to learn.
>>
>> i'll have to look into profiles, i haven't set anything up using
>> them yet, but maybe something is set by default.  I read in manuel
>> something about customizing each different format playback, i'm
>> sure i will be doing that soon enough too.  part of my issue is i
>> haven't set up a remote yet, and my cheep keyboard only has a 5'
>> cord.  I just got discouraged with this video thing and had to hop
>> on WoW and kill some stuff... lol
>
> I have decided that MythTV thinks my TV is 4:3.  IDK why but it
> only shows bars on 16:9 content, they are not there for the 4:3
> where they should be.  But now I can't find that setting.  I'm
> thinking this might even be a problem with my video settings in
> Linux, but it's not distorted outside of myth nor is myth's menus
> stretched.

Well I managed to fix the aspect ratio problem!  (using openSUSE) I
went into YAST > Hardware > Monitor.  It had the name of my TV but
the aspect ratio was wrong.  I selected 16:9 and then when it asked
for the physical size of monitor I just typed in 400mm x 225mm.  I
played around with that a little bit and it seems that is just about
right for the non Myth GUI.  TY for help & responses.  I'll be
starting a new thread about HD video playback video (jerky & video
tearing)