[mythtv-users] Screen Blanking

Al McIntosh al at allanmcintosh.com
Mon Feb 16 15:32:30 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Jason Gauthier <jgauthier at lastar.com>wrote:

> The random times, to me, imply something is wrong like your GPU is over
> heating, or is over clocked.
> Are there any utilities available that would allow you to query your
> graphics card to list temperature? I am unfamiliar with intel VGA.
>
> Do you have another VGA cable to rule out the cable?
> Do you have another VGA card, to rule that out?
>
> Next time the screen blanks, can you ssh in or ctrl-alt-f1 and check
> `dmesg` and other log files for clues.
>

> Can you run the following and see what happens?
>
> xset s noblank
> xset s off
> xset -dpms
>
> What about the ubuntu desktop settings. Exit mythfrontend and remain logged
> in and set the Ubuntu Desktop Settings
>
>  * Power Management: System->Preferences->Power Management - "Put display
> to sleep when inactive for" move the slider to the far right (never)
>  * Screensaver: System->Preferences->Screensaver - uncheck "Activate
> screensaver when computer is idle"
>

> All of these, I've eliminated, and thought I had done a decent job
> explaining that.  It's NOT a screensaver/DPMS issue.  It only happens when
> watching recordings and TV.
>
> I checked OpenGL sync, and I have OpenGL disabled.  This card is not good
> enough for it.  However, I also went into the CPU profiles and changed to a
> different profile.

Don't worry, you were clear. It wasn't clear if you tried to turn off DPMS
again when the screen blanked. Unless, I was to assume that was implied when
you said you have to reboot. I was wondering if something else enabled DPMS
during playback, although not likely still something I would rule out.

I was thinking it was your GPU overheating, not your CPU.  If the GPU is
handling the video decoding with XVMC at high resolution it could run pretty
hot, especially if it's passively cooled. Just an idea.