[mythtv-users] I've lost 1 gig of ram

David George david at thegeorges.us
Mon Feb 16 03:27:02 UTC 2009

On 02/15/2009 07:48 PM, John Drescher wrote:
>> Bit of weirdness is that if I __disable__ memory remapping option in the
>> bios, then I get 3Gb of memory available within Linux. I thought it was
>> supposed to be the other way round?
>>

> Yes, It is supposed to be the other way around.
>
> Are you 100% sure that you are under 64 bit fedora?
>
> uname -a
>
> should tell you that the kernel is 64 bit or not:
>
> jmd0 ~ # uname  -a
> Linux jmd0.comcast.net
> 2.6.26.8-openvz-ext4-tickless-00008-ga65ea96-dirty #28 SMP Sat Feb 7
> 17:3553 EST 2009 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
> GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>
> the difference is a 32 bit kernel will have x86 instead of x86_64

I'd be willing to bet that he has an Intel 945 chipset which doesn't
allow access to more than 3GB RAM.  I found this out with a couple of
Asus P5LD2 motherboards I have.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=EMu&q=intel+945p+chipset+ram+limit&btnG=Search

--
David