[mythtv-users] How big CF card for frontend?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 02:45:11 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
> Colin McGregor wrote:

>>> I built a qt3 embedded system in 16 MB of flash.  I don't know how big
>>> the frontend is, but I'd bet you could build the whole thing in 32 MB of
>>> flash.
>>>

>> You may well be right.
>>
>> However, Mythbuntu does have a utility for building a bootable USB
>> memory key image. If you use that utility, you will have a much bigger
>> than 32 MB image :-( . Obviously there will be stuff (likely a LOT of
>> stuff) that could be stripped out by hand. On the other hand, with 1
>> GB memory keys going for under $10, well, doing a lot of hand tweaking
>> isn't worth it in my books... Your mileage might however vary...
>>

> True.... But you could add it to OpenEmbedded and build for a platform of
> your choice.  Now the question is:  Is there interest?  Or is this one of
> those one-off projects?  And, how portable is the myth code?  Would it run
> on anything other than x86?

well it runs on ppc and amd64 :-)

But seriously (and back on topic) is the difference here between

1. a system that simply boots off flash/CF and then mounts / or /usr
over nfs (Which I suspect is what Colin is doing, I also note that the
mythbuntu setup is for a network mounted system and that the flash
drive setup seems to be a substitue for netbooting the kernel and
initramfs, as opposed to a full system); or

2. A complete system booting from flash and mounting the flash device
as / (which is, I suspect, what Tom Lichti is doing, and what I was
proposing).