[mythtv-users] How big CF card for frontend?

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 01:49:42 UTC 2009

On 2/15/09, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> How large would a CF card need to be to hold a mythbuntu front end? I
> am hoping 4G but can't find a figure anywhere.

Just over a month ago I put the Mythbuntu front end on to a USB memory
key. It was quite happy on a 1 GB key. I don't recall if it would fit
on a 512 MB key (probably, but I was just testing things, and the 1 GB
memory key was what I had handy). Bottom line, a 4 GB CF card would be
SERIOUS over kill.

My first choice would be to do a network boot, which has issues, but
you don't have to worry about updating flash devices, whereever.

If network booting isn't an option (old BIOS, or buggy BIOS (I've seen
both)) then if you have a spare 4 GB CF card and the extra hardware to
support a CF card on your system, go for it. On the other hard, if
you're buying new hardware and have a machine with a BIOS that
supports USB booting, I would get an under $10 1 GB USB memory key.

> Also how do people with CF systems handle updates? I know there can be
> a swag of downloads added somewhere in /var/apt and I am guessing
> these might fill the filesystem up pretty quickly.

The name of the game is you update the flash device by doing an
erase/re-program each time you do a server version upgrade (once every
say, 6 months or so). Unless something very strange happens, not worth
doing incremental updates...

> Any tips accepted :)

Hope this helps.

Colin McGregor