[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 23:16:49 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 4:14 AM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl>
> wrote:
>>
>> John Drescher wrote:
>>>
>>> Also from my experience satellite and cable company STBs do reboot
>>> themselves every once and a while this is probably for updates and
>>> such but I think a planned reboot at 3AM once a week would not hurt.
>>
>> There will always be people, especially when having to deal with a larger
>> pool of consumers, that have their favorite show at that time.
>> That is what I already wrote in my first response in this thread.
>
> I think a STB based on Myth could be made smart enough to reboot itself at a
> time when nothing is scheduled to record.
>
> Regards,
> Steve

I don't understand the way this thread has developed. AFAIK the STB
idea was for a FRONT end only.

I know of no memory leak, alleged or otherwise, that affects mythfrontend.

I know of no problem with rebooting a mythfrontend at some user
selectable time. If by some chance someone is watching something at
4.30 am its time they went to sleep. And whatever they were watching
will still be there to watch after a reboot!