[mythtv-users] MythTV box power usage

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 18:21:43 UTC 2009

> DLT-IV and DLT-7000 drives are available cheap these days. If you are going to
> have a drive in the machine you might as well have a working one.

Although I have 50 DLT-IV tapes I am not sure its worth the $600 that
the "approved" vendor charges for a DLT-IV drive. I do have a second
even older one that I retired long ago if I needed to really read one
of these tapes..

> VXA-2 drives (80GB native/160GB "compressed") are available for $20 these
> days. Funny when the drive costs about half what a blank tape costs.

Are these read compatible with VXA1? I have a VXA-1 drive at home.

> Backing up today's large hard drives is a problem, and given the price of hard
> drives, a lot of folks are just backing up to other hard drives.
>
> Just remember, RAID is NOT a backup solution.

Agreed, I just moved the user private and public backups over to the 2
drive extbayte magnum LTO2 24 slot autochanger that we have. Before
that the autochanger was mostly for our target dataset only (medical
images).

John