[mythtv-users] Screen Blanking

Jason Gauthier jgauthier at lastar.com
Sun Feb 15 17:54:06 UTC 2009

> I just finished sorting out a similar problem.  Have you tried
> switching to a text terminal an back?  How about turning the monitor
> off and on?  Is there anything about screen blanking in the logfiles?
>
> The first two would sometimes bring the screen back for me without a
> reboot.
>
> The ultimate fix was to find an xorg.conf modeline specific to my
> monitor (actually, a projector. Google helped here), but along the way
> I found a few websites and programs that helped out.
>
> The first message in the second thread details my results.  The first
> thread was the problem itself.

Great information.  I went through the LCD manual and modeline generator
immediately.
I was hoping this would do it.  I restarted and watched a recording.  5
minutes in and it happened :(

It doesn't seem to be quite the same thing.  I stopped X, and the text
terminal did not come back.
So, I still think it's a sync issue.. but maybe not a software one?  I'm
really unsure.

If I put it into standby and back out, it also seems to work.  It seems
to reset with the video card being "rebooted".
(warm or soft, ie: reboot or standby)

Another interesting note, I just realized. I can put mythmusic on with
visualization for HOURS.  I believe this problem is strictly brought out
when watching TV or videos.

I watched TV while tailing the X logs, and after about an hour it
happened again.  Nothing in the logs at all.

Jason