[mythtv-users] MythTV box power usage

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 16:51:33 UTC 2009

> My 9850 (quad core phenom), 6 GB RAM, 2 (for now) video cards, 11 drives
> including 2 15K SCSI drives, takes about 450W according to the UPS running
> it.  Seems a bit high, but maybe not.

That is about what my main user data file server at work uses
(according to APC). Two antec power supplies (not 80+), two Opteron
248 CPUs. 4GB of pc 3200 DDR1 ram + 18 x 250GB WD SATA 1 drives (still
spinning 24/7/365 from 2004), two promise sx8 ( 8 channel SATA cards),
a scsi card a Qunatum DLT-IV tape drive that no longer reads or writes
with reliability but is still connected. I have not removed the drive
because it is rare that I am the only person at work..

John