[mythtv-users] Should I Upgrade Frontend from AMD 3200+ to AMD X2 3800+ (DualCore) ?

Krzysztof Adamski k at adamski.org
Sat Feb 14 23:48:26 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 17:42 -0500, Eric Holt wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Brad Templeton
>         Though right now I am buying all core 2 duo.   Most myth
>         systems end
>         up being up 24/7.    And being up 24/7 makes every watt of
>         power count,
>         and core 2 processors are lower power than the AMDs, unless
>         AMD has changed
>         a lot recently.
>
> Intel is still mostly producing processors that use 65w.  Check
> NewEgg.  There are 2 processors on there that use 35w, but both of
> those are single-core Celeron's.  All of the 45w processors are AMD.
> Then Intel finally shows back up in the 65w range (as well as quite a
> few more AMD processors).
>
> I have the 4850e, which is dual-core at 2.5ghz -- and 45w max power
> usage.  AMD also now has the 5050e, which is 2.6ghz at 45w.
>
> I have a box running the 4850e, like I said, and a 80%+ efficient PSU
> -- with AMD's cool-n-quiet enabled... that idles around 40w, and
> barely hits 100w at full load.  Compared to my other box that was 65w
> idle / 145w loaded -- thats a good bit of power savings.
>
> heh, I love having a Kill-a-Watt. :)
> --Eric

I just had a PSU die in my desktop/frontend computer. I was wondering
what size of a PSU I need.
The existing PSU is a 400 Watt Antec earthwatts using, when doing
nothing the Kill-a-Watt shows a usage of 155W, and at full CPU
utilization it would go up to 215W when transcoding something.

So what size of PSU do I need for this computer, is there a rule of
thumb for translating the Kill-a-watt usage in to the size of PSU that
is needed?