[mythtv-users] DVB Card missed on power up but not reboot?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 19:18:57 UTC 2009

My backend machine is a Dell 4600 2.8 Ghz with three pcHDTV HD-5500
cards.  I'm running Gentoo with a 2.6.27 kernel and udev 124.

On the whole, the backend works flawlessly, but I have one annoying
issue.  Almost every time I have to power the system up from a
shutdown, it only recognizes two of the three HD-5500 cards, and not
necessarily the same two, so I don't think it's an issue with any
specific card or PCI slot.  Subsequent rebooting always sees all three
without fail.

I've sort of assumed that it was a mother board or BIOS fluke that I
may not be able to do anything about.  I'm not sure whether or not
udev might have something to do with it.  When it misses the cards I
can see it immediately by doing "dmesg | grep DVB" once the machine
comes up, as I don't see all three (0, 1, and 2).

Any idea what might cause that?

Tom