[mythtv-users] Distorted Video Playback

MrVining myth-user-discussion at mrvining.com
Fri Feb 13 23:26:08 UTC 2009

First a little background. It's been over 7 years since I have worked
with Linux, and I'm all newb.  I have 6 TiVo's 4 of them HD dual
tuner, I've been a TiVo subscriber for about 5 years.  I've made my
payments every month, and now they have the flipping nerve to
restrict fast-forward on some commercials.  WTF I'm keeping my
monthly fee and they can shove-it.  So I order up some computer parts
to build me a Media Center, thinking Vista is dirt cheep, might as
well use WMC.  But then I find out that the software is only capable
of recording 2 things at once...  Not to mention the channel mapping
makes me want to punch a baby (joking of course).  I remembered
MythTV from a few years back so I looked into what they had to
offer.  I'm LOVING mythbackend but I'm having some trouble with the
front end.  Heres my setup:

3x HDHomeRun (wow channel mapping the qam256 was fun, but got the
guide info working)
WinTV-PVR USB2 (not hooked up yet)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128072
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072
1 Gig of old ram I found in a tote
2x 200g HDDs from same tote lol
Lil Sony 23" flat screen in the office hooked up via HDMI (at least
one TV only has hdmi no vga, so I really want get the hdmi working)

I plan to have a total of 3 front ends running, but before I dump
anymore money into this project I want to get one MythTV front end
working.  So far this project has made me feel old and slow...  LOL
But I have managed to get MythTV installed on Suse 11.1.  I have the
back end working well, or at least I think I do.  Now I'm working on
the front end side of things, and I just can not get worth wile
video.  Right now when I playback 1080i (recorded off NBC) video, I
get gray bars on top and bottom.  It's a 16:9 tv btw. The picture was
all squished together, I found the setting to stretch it vertically,
but that didn't move the gray bars.  I got the aspect pretty close to
right, but half the show was covered up by the bars.

I'm tired, burnt out, proly missing something obvious, sorry for the
winded post.  Hoping someone can just go well duh, didn't you see the
"fix all button"...