[mythtv-users] Directories where ripped DVDs are stored

gonzalo diethelm gdiethelm at dcv.cl
Fri Feb 13 14:19:54 UTC 2009

I understand that, in order to watch ripped DVDs (stored on a backend)
from a separate frontend, I need to make sure the volumes holding those
rips are accessible from the frontend with something like NFS or Samba.
Questions:

1. Is Samba good enough to share the volumes, or is NFS pretty much the
only way? I would like to be able to sometimes watch those movies from a
Windows machine, so if Samba is good enough I would rather stick to
that.

2. Is it the case that TV recordings also must be exported via NFS or
Samba, or are they transferred from backend to frontend using some kind
of streaming protocol? Just curious.

3. Has anybody tried sharing these files over a WiFi (802.11g) network?
Is the bandwidth and latency enough to be able to watch a DVD from a
remote frontend?

Best regards,

--
Gonzalo Diethelm