[mythtv-users] Newbie questions: a digital DVD library

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Feb 12 23:33:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 01:19:43PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Thursday 12 February 2009 12:13:34 gonzalo diethelm wrote:
>
> > 4. The other thing I have been unable to do is to watch video streamed
> > from the Internet. I tried watching several different channels (BBC and
> > NASA) and I could hear the sound off my speakers, but the small box
> > where it would show the movie was just a blue rectangle. What gives?
>
> Sounds like a video output problem, what did you specify as -vo for mplayer?
> What did it say when it started?
> >
> > 5. Eventually, when I set up my definite machine, I will use Ubuntu
> > Server for the setup. How hard is it to install and configure MythTV on
> > Ubuntu, WITHOUT using MythBuntu?
>
> Why Ubuntu Server? Myth can be set up on just about any Linux distro, though
> it is easier to get help with the more commonly-used ones.

What's so obscure about Ubuntu "anything" exactly?

Any one of them that doesn't try to deviate too much from the
main version will have a large ready pool of potential support
people. For most stuff, you could probably get help on the main
support website (http://ubuntuforums.org/).

That's probably true of "stock" distros in general.

I just rescued a guy from mythbuntu today.

Apparently there are bits missing if you're trying to debug hardware support.

[deletia]