[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun 1012xxxxx vs later models (Rev1 vs Rev2 tuners)

Jay Summet jay at summet.com
Thu Feb 12 22:40:33 UTC 2009

> I too have been using an HDHR for over a year now, and I love it.  I use
> the IR receiver as well, to much satisfaction.  The only hiccup I have
> could be related to the sensitivity of the older tuners, I'm not sure.
> Mine has a  1010xxxx number FWIW.  I notice that some recordings
> (cable), mainly on FOX, but occasionally other networks, are heavy with
> artifacts, while the same channel at the same time comes in crystal
> clear using my TV's built in QAM tuner directly.  This happens with SD
> and HD, and spans commercials as well.  The recordings are unwatchable
> in most cases, since the sound will drop out, and the picture goes
> blocky or skips every couple of seconds.  I havn't investigated too
> deeply yet, but the signal meter shows FOX coming in at >80% strength.
> I wouldnt think that's too strong.  Since this problem is not constant,
> and I don't usually notice until a couple days after a program airs and
> I try to watch it, it is very difficult to narrow down.  If it were more
> reproducable, I would probably pursue trying to RMA my HDHR for a new
> one.  Does anyone else notice this problem?

Those artifacts sound like what I was seeing (also on Fox, BTW). Mine
were not quite as bad as you describe, nor as frequent.

However, my signal strength was pegged (100%) not just over 80%, and I
was using OTA reception not cable.

To the best of my knowledge the 1010xxxx devices are the same hardware
as the 1012xxxxx devices.
Jay