[mythtv-users] Strange recording priority

Wilfred van den Assem c.assemvanhaaften at chello.nl
Thu Feb 12 18:44:45 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean schreef:
> On 02/12/2009 09:33 AM, Wilfred van den Assem wrote:
>> I've got 2 cable-boxes connected to 2 Hauppauge 150 PVR card and one
>> Satelco DVB-C.
>> The 2 cable-boxes are Encoder 6 and Encoder 7
>> When I start watching live-tv, it choose Encoder 7 by default.
>
> Only because you've enabled the setting:
>
> Avoid conflicts between live TV and scheduled shows
> If enabled, live TV will choose a tuner card that is less likely to
> have scheduled recordings rather than the best card available.
>
> which tells LiveTV to start from the "bottom of the list"--i.e. use
> the highest numbered cardinput rather than the lowest-numbered.  (Or
> because you haven't enabled that setting and input 7 is on the same
> host as the frontend but input 6 is on a different host.)
>
>>  If I
>> start a recording (when watching live-tv) it choose Encoder 6.
>>

> Right, as it should.
Yes.

>> But when I start watching live-tv on Encoder 7 and change it manualy to
>> Encoder 6 (so I'm watching live-tv on Encoder 6) and if I then start a
>> recording it switched from live-tv (Encoder 6) to the recording on
>> Encoder 6.
>>

> Right, because cardinput 6 is the "better" of the 2 encoders, so for
> recordings (which are considered infinitely more important than LiveTV
> by Myth), the best is used and LiveTV will be "pre-empted," even if
> another tuner is available.  Then, the user who was watching LiveTV
> can either watch the recording in progress or exit and re-enter LiveTV.

Why is 6 better when it is used and 7 (other card/other cable-box/same
channels) is free? I've read a lot but that's very hard for me.
>> And at that moment, Encoder 7 is free and the same configured as Encoder
>> 6.
>
> Right.
>
>>  They have the same record-priority 0.
>>

> Good.  No one should ever mess with the input priority unless they
> read /and/ understand all of
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html#ss12.6 (really, all of
> section 12, but /at least/ 12.6).  (Of course, once you read that,
> you'll realize that the /best/ approach is to never use input
> priorities, but instead to use the video sources part of
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 to
> clear all Input Connections, then re-create Video Sources, Input
> Connections (in order of preference), and Channels.)

I use priorities only for 4 fta channel on the Satelco DVB-C card. When
I add this card to the bottom, live-tv is started with those 4 channels
and I want these only for some recordings.

>> Is this a misconfiguration from me?
>
> Nope.  That's just Myth.  The best solution:  don't use LiveTV--Myth
> is a DVR, where "R" means Recorder.
>
> Second-best solution: get another PVR-150 that can be dedicated to the
> satellite set-top box (i.e. so you have a /separate/ encoder for each
> set-top box) instead of using Input Groups and having 2 STB's share
> the same encoder.

I don't know what you mean with "get another PVR-150 that can be
dedicated to the satellite set-top box"
I've got 2 PVR's and two boxes. Box1 to PVR (/dev/video0)  and Box2 to
PVR (/dev/video1).

It are the same cable-boxes, (Thomson from UPC - The Netherlands - sorry
for my poor English ;-).

It's not clear for me why this happens. Before I had the boxes connected
I used the Tuner feature of the card for analog tv, and this never happens.