[mythtv-users] blank playback and livetv on remote frontend (dv8000 hp laptop)

George Ward geowtx at cableone.net
Thu Feb 12 18:24:50 UTC 2009

I have lost the ability to playback recordings and livetv on my known to
work F.E.

Frontend
dv8000 hp laptop
was mythbuntu 8.10 32bit now mythbuntu 9.04 64bit
amd turion64 cpu
512mb  mem
ati radeon xpress 200m (on mb)

Backend
mythuntu 8.10 working 3mths with above
gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R ( this is a sweet system, just lopes along and
runs cool)
core2duo E8400 3ghz cpu
4gig dual channel memory
evga nvidia 8500  (this card was so much easier to get going than the
ati above)
2 hvr 1600 hauppauge analog only & svideo stb dct2000

I have had the f.e. working with this backend and attempted to get TV
out working. Some success. But then installed fglrx driver from repo and
I then had a blank screen on recordings playback and live tv. Audio was
and is still working. At this point I fell back to vesa drivers and
could get a picture for both playback and live tv but it was the top
half of picture and was upside down but the picture would not move
unless I used the skip ahead cursor key. After about a wk of trying to
resolve that I decided to reinstall Mythbuntu 8.10 with fglrx installed
which resulted in the blank screen again. Audio still worked when I
remembered to unmute in the mixer... So next effort was to install 64
bit 9.04 alpha3. Same exact thing, shouldn't be a surprise i guess..

*    I have verified the video still works properly on the backend's f.e.
*    it will still playback properly on windows xp mythplayer...  but I
really don't use windows much
*    I have verified the time is sync'd on both computers
*    I have verified that the remote frontend points to the backend ( is
does play the audio)

I am really stumped, can someone help with this...

Thanks g