[mythtv-users] Nvidia driver updated but now the system won't play HD.

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 23:53:21 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Robert <RobertCL at iname.com> wrote:

> Allen Edwards wrote:
>
>> I usually don't like to ask a stupid question but I have spent the last
>> hour and a half on this online and can't figure it out.
>>
>> I am trying to verify my wiki and specifically the part about updating
>> nvidia driver. My aux frontend is very up to date so I did an envygn -t and
>> updated the nvidia driver -- to 96.43.05!!!
>>
>> What gives with that?  I then tried it again first uninstalling the old
>> one and then installing the new one -- same thing.
>>
>> I must be doing something stupid.  I stayed up late working on the wiki
>> but I swear I didn't take my stupid pills today.
>>
>> This is why I think I have an old version on my aux FE:
>>
>> $ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
>> NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86 Kernel Module  96.43.05  Tue Jan 22
>> 19:36:58 PST 2008
>> GCC version:  gcc version 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu3)
>>

>> On the other hand, my FE/BE gives this:
>> $ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
>> NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  173.14.12  Thu Jul 17
>> 18:11:36 PDT 2008
>> GCC version:  gcc version 4.2.4 (Ubuntu 4.2.4-1ubuntu3)
>>
>> This is not completely up to date but it works so I don't mess with it.
>>
>> Both machines are Mythbuntu.
>>
>> Allen
>>

> If you have an old(er) graphics card then you need the older 96.xx.xx
> NVIDIA drivers because the new 17x.xx.xx drivers don't support some old(er)
> graphics cards.
>
> I forget which models exactly but the info will be out there somehwere, and
> it sounds liks this may be what is happening.
>
> Robert.

Thanks so much.  I put in a 5200 and got 173.14.12 with envyng.

The only problem is that anything in HD clocks up myth.   What seems to be
happening is that XvMC crashes Myth.  If I switch to SLIM from CPU--, the
shows play fine but as the CPU is not powerful enough they are unwatchable
because of the periodic pauses.

This happened when I upgradeed to 96.43.05 with the old board so I didn't do
enough testing and thought it wasn't a problem but I am positive it was.

Now what???

Allen