[mythtv-users] Playback with xine?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 21:06:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Robert McNamara
> <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:11 PM, H Z <hansz_2000 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi - I've been working on some issues with mythtv in Appletv since CBS must
>>> have recently upped their bitrate because the appletv I'm using can no
>>> longer play that station on playback in myth. Fooling around with it I've
>>> noticed that of all things Xine handles the files best, it still complains
>>> about dropped frames but the quality is certainly acceptable.
>>>
>>> So my question is - other than mounting the partition from my myth backend
>>> and using the "watch movies" configured to use Xine - is there a way to get
>>> myth to use xine for show playback as an integrated solution?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Hans
>>>

>> Nope, Live TV and Watch Recordings will always be Myth's internal
>> player.  Only MythVideo can utilize an external player.
>>
>> Robert
>
> *sets mind to thinking* - is it logical to restrict users to Internal
> for recordings when freedom of choice is give in mythvideo?

External players for recordings/Live TV is the LAST thing I would want
to see, personally.  I'd be happier seeing external player support go
away in MythVideo.  I've made the case for such before but (as I am
likely about to hear) people would fuh-reak out.

External player support is a legacy option from when the internal
player had limited codec and container support.  In many MANY ways
now, the internal player is more capable than even mplayer, and
maintains the look and feel of myth throughout.  There are lots of
people who use (or moved in the past to) an external player because of
this reason, or because of a tiny bit of extra speed you can eke out
of a player with a more limited OSD/which does not read-write a
seektable/etc.  With the dawning of multithreaded/hardware accelerated
playback, this is becoming less and less relevant.    Then there's the
crowd who have minor issues with a container format (I'm looking at
*you*, MKV) who switch to get proper seeking *without* ever making an
effort to get the seeking fixed in MythTV (the MKV file is
semi-broken, a stream copy into a fresh container will fix seeking).
Yeah, I have some strong feelings on the matter.  I'd love to see the
external player support done away with entirely when playback becomes
trivial.

Oh, and I want to see framegrabber support/support for PVR-350 video
out go away too.

FLAME ON!

Robert