[mythtv-users] HDMI ac3 passthough audio

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 03:10:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Joel Means <means.joel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, I have played with it for a while tonight, and still no luck.
> In the BIOS, I have the following options:
>
> OnChip Audio Controller: Enabled*
>                                     Disabled
>  -- FP-Audio:                   HD-Audio*
>                                     AC97
> HDMI Audio:                   Enabled*
>                                     Disabled
>  Intergade HDA Codec:   HDMI*
>                                     SPDIF
>
> * = what I think I should have.
>
> If I disable OnChip Audio Controller, obviously I have no sound card
> detected.  The FP-Audio setting seems to make no difference to ALSA.
> HDMI Audio turns the HDMI audio option on or off in ALSA.  Intergade
> HDA Codec seems to have no effect either.  I have been testing with
> "mplayer -ac hwac3 -ao alsa:device=hdmi /path/to/movie.mpg".  I have
> tried many different things in place of hdmi as the alsa device and I
> get either nothing or static.  If I mute "iec958 1" in alsamixer, it
> mutes the static, so I know that is the right control.  I have tried
> setting the various AES? bits using iecset to match the working
> settings for iec958 (my optical s/pdif out).  Nothing I have tried
> will work for me.  So, I guess I will just stick with optical for now.
>  I am open to any other suggestions.
> Thanks,
> Joel

Have you gone through the items in my posting on digital audio and found it
still doesn't work?  If so, I will need to update it once we get yours
working.  This has been done and I think I captured it but please let me
know if I have not.  The subject on my post is "New spdif setup suggestions"
and it covers HDMI, at least it is intended to cover HDMI but as I can't
test it I need your help in getting it right.

Allen