[mythtv-users] question involving multiple frontends

Adam Stylinski kungfujesus06 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 20:22:25 UTC 2009

Ok so this may be a silly question and yes there is an obvious solution
to it.  I'm wanting to know if there's a way multiple frontends can
watch the same livetv program without utilizing two tuners/encoders.
That is to say, the livetv recording itself is accessible from the
backend to multiple frontends.  Obviously there are two fairly simple
solutions to this, A.) have both viewers view from the same frontend, or
B.) set it to record

However, I'm curious about the casual television viewer, who doesn't set
things to record, but simply channel flips back and forth.  I'm
wondering if the database will flip out or if it will create duplicate
recordings of the same program if both users are tuned into the same
channel on the same backend but with different frontends.  I'm sorry for
my ignorance if this was addressed by the design in that it queries the
backend's database for a live stream and then feeds the same mpeg files
over the network, but as far as I know there's no evidence that it does
this with livetv.