[mythtv-users] iPod theme for MythTV?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 20:07:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2009, at 10:30 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>
>> at least in my environments (50" tv at 14ft in the living room and 24"
>> monitor at 10ft, both HDTV) i have quite a bit of visable real estate.
>> Just using the current browse mode as a comparison, I could easily
>> make the fonts smaller and add more columns without losing clarity. My
>> personal ideal browsing mode would be similar to Winamp's three column
>> layout, with left/right moving between columns, a lower window showing
>> all the tracks currently filtered and some sort of browser like
>> Winamp's left bar browser. I don't know if that would necesarily be
>> good for other users, but for the way I think it would be the best.
>
> Maybe it needs to look prettier, but I think that functionality is there
> right now. You do move between columns and you can configure the columns it
> uses.

yes, for the most part it is. It's not much different than the current
iPod interface either. Like I said, for me, that's how *I* like it. I
would like for more visibility than the current themes allow (smaller
fonts, less wasted space, etc), but the basic idea that is currently
used works well for me, I just want more control over the number of
levels and what gets filtered at each level.

>> Another option, which would mesh that and the iPod style interface is
>> to do something like how Dolphin/Finder work, where as you click a new
>> column opens to the right with the next level displaying, and as the
>> columns out number the width they scroll to the side. It would be
>> similar to how the iPod moves back and forth in the menus but with
>> some idea of where in the tree you are.
>
> That's what the current MythMusic does and everyone complains about how bad
> it is.

I think the complaint is that you can't tell it what each level of
filtering is. At least I've never been able to get it to filter by
what I want. On top of that the column widths seem arbitrary.

>> I believe the newer iPod (maybe just iPhone) has a album browser type
>> view, but I don't think this is what Jean-Yves was refering to.
>
> Yeah, I find that functionally annoying, but pretty. I've never gone it to
> as my first choice for picking music.
>
>> One thing I think definitely needs to be possible is to allow the user
>> to define the sorting sections (again, similar to how Winamp allows
>> you to define them). In general i think, along with solid defaults,
>> viewing options need to be customizable by the user with only the
>> structure being defined by the theme.
>
> Again, this is currently available. It seems like the only thing you would
> like is for it to look prettier. I agree with that. The only other things I
> are:
> Better playlist management (add, change playlists in the same interface as
> browsing)

Yea, simple check boxes through each level to select everything under
that level, or individual track. Perhaps with a window that shows the
currently selected tracks.

> Album Art grabber scripts you can issue at any time like MythVideo has
> Always display album art in track details if available

also a more complete ID3 tagging interface.

Of course, all we need is someone to have the genius idea for a
different interface we haven't thought of that may end up being even
better =P

--
Steve
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Steveadeff