[mythtv-users] mythWelcome and a very slow gui?

Jay Summet jay at summet.com
Mon Feb 9 19:05:23 UTC 2009

I am using mythwelcome (which automatically starts up when the box boots
up).

It works fine, but is so VERY slow.  When I press the "M" key it takes
3-4 seconds to pop up the menu, and then the up/down arrows take 2-3
seconds to react, and after I press select, it takes 1-2 seconds to do
the action.  I've looked at it with top and it doesn't appear to be
super niced (if it was, I was going to re-nice it). [Also, the screen
takes a long time to re-draw when the menu disappears, leaving a blank
menu shaped hole for 1-2 seconds.]

I understand that we don't want mythwelcome doing a busywait and taking
up 100% of the cpu cycles when the box is idle, but I don't understand
why it can't be almost as responsive as the standard mythfrontend (which
is very zippy). Otherwise my system has plenty of CPU power and is very
responsive.

Is my setup acting normally, do other people's mythwelcomes also have
these horrible pauses?

Anybody have any suggestions for making mythwelcome more responsive?

I'm running SVN 0.21-fixes, with about a week since my last compile.

Thanks,
Jay