[mythtv-users] Preserve AC3 while Transcoding` HD Resordings

Chris Everest chriseverest at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 18:57:50 UTC 2009

Hello fine MythTV users...  Here's my setup.  I use HD Homerun to record
clear QAM on my mythbackend.  So we know we're starting with MPEG+AC3
source.  I then do a 'light' transcode using the builtin mythtranscode
jobs.  I preserve the "HD" resolution by transcoding to 1280x720, but use a
lower bitrate so that it still looks decent on the big screen, but also
still plays well on my SD frontends (Athlon 2800+).

Here's the deal.

I love the AC3 sound. I have full dolby digital in the main media room.
However, when I choose the audio portion of my transcode job, I specify
"Uncompressed" and "48000" on the sample rate.  Unfortunately, this
transcodes it to something other than AC3 because I no longer get dolby
digital, instead I get the old style Pro Logic spec on the receiver.
Bummer.

Do I need to use Project X?  Or start using the "Other Jobs" to get what I
want?

--
Chris Everest