[mythtv-users] System crashes on start of DVB-S recording

Bruce Taber b.taber at comcast.net
Mon Feb 9 16:53:58 UTC 2009

Jelte Veldstra wrote:
> Hello Bruce,
>
> Thanks for your input. What led you to this conclusion and what Ethernet
> chip was the faulty one? My PCI slots are taken so I cannot easily try
> it myself. Where there messages in logfiles that hinted issues with the
> Ethernet port or was the Ethernet traffic poor? I have already replaced
> this motherboard (for different reasons) and it now has a different
> Ethernet chip. As far as I can tell it's working just fine, but perhaps
> there are conflicts with certain chips.
>
> Regards,
>

> Jelte

On my system there were no entries in any of the log files. The only
indications were odd speeds (seen by much higher readings than
physically possible) during scp transfers. Putting pressure on the
Ethernet port by increasing the amount of traffic either with mythtv
streaming or with the scp caused the system to lockup more often.
However, it wasn't guaranteed to trigger the problem.

I also did not have an extra slot and eventually removed one of the
tuner cards to make room. I found the problem by general troubleshooting
steps of removing one card at a time. The whole mess was far more
complicated and delayed because I found a bad memory module and also
thought I had messed up the system with an upgrade. It would run for up
to 3 days before just randomly stopping dead in its tracks with no
console output nor log entries. It was very frustrating until finally
putting in the replacement Ethernet card. Everything has been running
normally since then which is a few months now.

Bruce