[mythtv-users] Stuttering Playback and Missing voices on some channels but not others

Tim Shannon shannon.timothy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 14:36:05 UTC 2009

I thought I had my firewire setup working correctly, as I appeared that I
could get all of the HD channels I wanted (including some that I thought
would be encrypted like CNN and the History Channel, etc).

Last night when it was recording some shows on ABC, the recordings were
stuttering bad during playback, there was quite a bit of noise on screen as
well.  Also, there were no voices.  You could hear the music fine in every
scene, but no voices.

When I switched the channel to NBC, the playback was smooth and clear as it
should be, and the sound was perfect.

In my mythbackend settings for the firewire connection, I was using p2p, but
switched it over after reading that it would probably get more HD channels
working (which it did).  All of the SD channels play be fine as well.  Do I
need to request a newer STB?  I'm assuming the one I have is older, as it is
gigantic.  It's about twice the size of my aging DVD player.