[mythtv-users] Interfacing with cable fox Time Werner then FIOS

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 9 02:19:44 UTC 2009

On Sunday 08 February 2009 19:09:39 MailingListJ wrote:
> greg wrote:
> > MailingListJ wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>  So I'm looking for some help... I'm having a hard time finding how
> >> to interface with my Time Werner cable box, I will be switching to
> >> FIOS sometime in the future if I can but not at this current moment.
> >> Any ideas on how to get this off the ground so that I can get HD into
> >> my foxes.  The next problem which I saw discussion about was trans
> >> coding on the fly from HD to SD for my other TVs... any ideas?
> >> -J
> >
> > You will need an analog card like the hauppauge 150 or some similar
> > card,then connect the Set top box via the s-video port on the card...
>
> I agree, however HD cannot go through S-Video....

Nor could that card encode it even if you managed to get the signal into the
card somehow :-)

The only reasonable option to get baseband HD into a Myth system these days is
the HD-PVR-1212, unless you can get a working FireWire setup, but that won't
get you encrypted channels that you pay for.

Probably the STB has an SD output of some sort, composite or RF, and using it
would eliminate the need to transcode for the other TVs, unfortunately it
would preclude watching HD, but a PVR can capture it.

On the fly transcoding would take a lot of CPU power. Drives are cheap so just
recording the HD and SD streams might be cheaper in the long run.

--
beww
beww at beww.org