[mythtv-users] Cool'n'Quiet setup help

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 00:29:23 UTC 2009

I have an AMD 5400+ running Mythbuntu 8.10.  I would like to run
cool'n'quiet to cut the cpu temp and power.  I enabled it in the BIOS and
the results were unsatisfactory.  The program would stutter.  I could see
that the cpu was running at 1GHz during program mode and that wasn't enough.
What I want to do is have the CPU at a low clock frequency but when there is
basically any activity at all, have it go to 100% clock.  For example, right
now the CPU is at .6%.  It would be nice if the clock was at a minimum.  But
if the cpu goes above, say 2%?, I want the CPU to go to max clock so it wont
stutter.

I see instructions on the net how to do this but they are 3 years old and
experience has thought me that following instructions like this causes a
half day work getting the system working again because the instructions were
for an older system.

So, can anyone with a system like mine who has enabled cool'n'quiet and
understands what I am saying help me out?

Allen