[mythtv-users] Can't convert TV recording MPG files for other computers - codecs

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 22:55:42 UTC 2009

2009/2/8 OCG Technical Support <support at ocg.ca>:
> Myth recorded my shows from satellite (DVB) and from analog cable via
> PVR-500.  Myth creates these files in the /storage/recordings directory

DVB files are encoded before transmission and the PVR-500 has a
hardware encoder.  So in both cases the files are encoded before
mythtv gets its hands on them.

I find a lossless transcode makes subsequent manipulation of the
recorded files much more reliable.

ffmpeg -i infile.mpg -acodec copy -vcodec copy outfile.mpg