[mythtv-users] errors running mythfilldatabase uk

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Feb 8 20:38:46 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 03:36:56PM +0000, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 08/02/2009, Stephen Kitchener <stephen at g6dzj.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >  If I make install the new xmltv will it place the required files in the same
> >  place as the rpm version, I am running an old mythtv version 20 on fedora 7
> >  by the way, do I need to make any backups of config filels ??, will it just
> >  drop in ??
>
> If the RPM version put the grabber files in /usr/bin, build the XMLTV
> source with
>
> perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/usr/
> make
> make install
>
> *I* would remove the XMLTV RPMs first before installing from source to
> ensure there are no stale files left behind. Your config file(s)
> should be left untouched and should continue to work with the new
> version of XMLTV.
>
> Newer versions of the grabber rely on some perl modules that might not
> be installed on your system - you will be advised of this during the
> build process. They can be installed via CPAN.
>
> It might also be possible to download the XMLTV packages for a
> supported version of Fedora from atrpms.net and use those instead of
> building from source. However, this is not a supported method so YMMV!

Ideally one would rebuild xmltv on FC7 from the src.rpm. That would be
the perfect blend-in solution (packaged, built on FC7).

But Stephen seems to have gotten along with the package already - just
noting for any future similar situations with wanting to run packages
from a later release on an EOL'd one, like say any forthcoming
xmltv/mythtv package on the EOL'd F8 release. Any upcoming src.rpms for
F9-F11 will most likely still build on F8 for any souls that don;t
want to upgrade.

But the general advice is: Either do upgrade (once a year) or pick a
distro like RHEL/CentOS/SL that doesn't require to upgrade that often.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net