[mythtv-users] garbled sound from Fireware stream

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Fri Feb 6 19:49:07 UTC 2009

Tim Shannon <shannon.timothy at gmail.com> says:
> I've just recently switch providers from satellite to cable so I
> could get HD, and I've got everything working great, except for my
> audio is coming through garbled on anything coming over the firewire
> from the cable box.

Do you use S/PDIF? Does
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/258882#258882>,
from almost two years ago, resemble your issue in any way?

If so, the "rest of the story," as Paul Harvey would say, is that the
reason the problem wasn't consistent was because only one of my two
DCT-6200 cable boxes would create the affected recordings. (The issue
only emerged after moving to S/PDIF; ALSA was able to play the 32K
audio tracks that box output over FireWire fine, over my old dual
analog speakers.) A cable technician had to try a half-dozen spare
boxes from his truck before he found one that didn't also have the
problem. If this is your issue, since you only just converted to cable
I would try swapping out your box (request that the technician bring
all the spares he can carry) and delete your affected recordings.

A more drastic approach that may help, whether the above situation
matches yours or not, is <URL:http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5900>
(also read
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/357706#357706>).
While the patch does its stereo->5.1 magic it happens to solve along
the way a few different audio-related issues/tickets; while I no
longer have any of the affected recordings it's quite possible it
would've more or less solved the above problem, too, even if I had
never swapped out the box. If you don't know how to patch, then your
best bet is to wait until the patch gets incorporated into trunk then
upgrade to the next release version. Hopefully the patch will get
applied before 0.22 goes out the door, but it's impossible to predict
such things.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array