[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

Patrick Davila pdavila at thelinuxlink.net
Fri Feb 6 14:43:46 UTC 2009

So every HD capable media extender currently out there (Popcorn Hour A110,
SageTV HD200, WD HD Media Player) all use the Sigma 8635 chip to power
their devices. I noticed Sigma sells a media extender development kit
based on that chipset. I decided to send an email to Sigma this morning to
see if they would be willing to sell kits to the MythTV community. I also
asked the question if the developers would have to sign any kind of NDA
for access to APIs and design references. I think all of us would be
willing to purchase a $200 HD media extender if it worked well with
MythTV. I currently have a Hauppauge MediaMVP and use it with
MythTV/Mvpmc. It would be great to have a similar HD device.  It's worth a
shot. The worse thing they can do is say no.

Pat

Robert McNamara [robert.mcnamara at gmail.com] wrote:

> It's pretty much just the Sigma chip (as expected, the sigmas chip is
> meant to be a "total package.")  Obviously some RAM, an HDMI
> controller, etc., but the only real "meat" to the system is the Sigma
> chip, which makes it unsatisfactory for any (non-uPnP) myth purpose.

You keep saying that a Sigma chip is unsuitable for any non-uPnP myth
purpose.  Why?  Because of a legal hurdle, like Sigma won't give out
documentation to port MythTV's front end without a restrictive NDA
which would prevent source distribution?  Or because of some technical
hurdle, like insufficient RAM, no way to draw the GUI/OSD etc?

Drew