[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Feb 5 23:01:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 02:39:01PM -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:

> >> i guess i should refrain from saying STB.  And use extender.  Not a
> >> all in one box but a device that streams myth recording from the
> >> backend to the TV.

> >> The Apple TV is far from ideal, it requires a hackish job that only
> >> handles MPEG2 what I really mean is a box like the Sage Extender but
> >
> >    Nope. It does divx and h264 pretty well too.
>
> ATV is a _pretty_ good choice, but it can't handle hi bitrate ATSC signals.
> I have problems, and so do others

...are you sure the CPU is in the right power saving mode?

Network performance crashes otherwise. The NIC won't be able
to handle the necessary network throughput.

Mine has managed to handle the local PBS affiliate that uses
their entire bandwidth for a single channel rather than
splitting into subchannels.