[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR 500 failing?

Anthony R. Baker baker at low-e.com
Thu Feb 5 22:02:06 UTC 2009

    I've been using a pvr 500 now for about 2 years and I think it is
starting to die. This would be a good thing if it was in about 10 days as my
wife suggested I spend a considerable amount of our tax refund on the Myth
setup;) Its recordings are much quieter lately but the level changes to a
wildly high volume distorted barely audible mess which ruins the recordings.
If I reboot the card works for a while but the prior recordings are still
toast.This is not the audio instability problem from the Mythtv wiki I have
"fixed" that already. Nothing unusual in the logs and I haven't found
anybody else with this so I'm assuming it's hardware death unless someone
has a better idea. I run SD only Directv setup.Without starting an HD/SD or
hardware war I would like to improve my picture quality without going HD. If
you have seen the output of a pvr 500 you'll know it can be done. Since HD
is where I'll end up at some point I thought a new Hauppauge HD PVR  (or 2)
would be logical. Can I run an HD directv box on an old SD dish and use the
component outputs? Has anyone tried the svideo inputs? How was the
picture?Does anyone have a better idea? I am a BSD admin. and my wife and
kids tell me I love recompiling, patching and debugging the software to make
it work but I dislike unstable software if that's an issue. Any advice is
appreciated I have to keep the WAF happy till I can afford to bring
everything to HD.